Defensive standout Mazi Smi has signed for the 2023 NFL Draft after four years of playing at the University of Michigan.
His accomplishments as an interior lineman made him one of the best in Ann Arbor for a while. Now he is heading off to the NFL. Mazi Smith, a senior defensive lineman, reportedly signed his name to the 2023 NFL Draft.
Smith was No. 1 heading into the 2022 season. Bruce Feldman named Smith the No. 1 College Football Freaks. His combination of speed and size made him the fiercest interior defensive lineman in America at 6-3-337lbs.
Smith set several records in 2022 and was named Michigan’s Defensive Player Of The Year.
MGoBlue.com gives us a glimpse at Smith’s noteworthy achievements at the University of Michigan.
Scroll down to continue
* 2x Academic All-Big Ten Honoree (2020-21).
* 2x All-Big Ten Selection (consensus First Team, 2022; coaches and media honorable mention 2021).
* Winner of the Richard Katcher Award (2021), and Defensive Player (222)
* Triple-time letterwinner in 2019-20-21
* With 27 games played, he has appeared in 34 of his professional appearances
* All-Big Ten Selection (consensus team first)
* Midseason All-American, The Athletic (first Team)
* Nominated the Defensive Player Award for the Team
* Four times, shared Defensive Play of the Week honors with Penn State, Illinois and Maryland.
* Recorded six tackles, two solo. Also included an 11-yard sack against Colorado State (Sept. 3).
* Posted a record-breaking eight tackles, including one for loss in the interior match against Maryland (Sept. 24, 2017)
* Five tackles against Michigan State in one start (Oct. 29).
* Five tackles, including four solo stops against Illinois (Nov. 19,)
* Four tackles were made from the Ohio State defensive interior (Nov. 26).
* Served two tackles on Purdue during the Big Ten Championship (Dec.